Friday, September 25, 2015

Banvertising

Is Banvertising offensive or clever?
If an add is deemed as offensive, should it be banned? Honestly, if something is offensive to one person it might not be offensive to the rest of us. It's extremely bothersome how in life in general people will ban certain things because it doesn't please everyone! Nothing will ever please anyone! And example of banning something other than advertising is how people and schools have banned the word, "Christmas." It's a huge deal now to say this word just because some people didn't like it.

Banvertising is the same thing. I don't agree with banning words that have meaning to some people and I also don't agree that we should ban artwork and advertisements based on some people's values and beliefs. So advertisements should not be banned, because they were created with an intention and if that intention is working no one has the right to stop that!

That brings me to the next point, who can even determine what is considered to be offensive and what is not? I do not think any one person has the right to determine this. Our world needs to let people express whatever they want however they want. If some people are offended, I am sorry but that's too bad. It's an advertisement that might not even targeted at you so why should it matter?

On the other hand, yes I do believe that companies should be careful what they post. If they want to keep their business and keep a good reputation they should be aware of the reactions that their work may cause. But there is only so many people you can please in life, so at the end of the day it should be entirely up to the creative team to decide what they are going to create.

I hope it is not a deliberate strategy to have their advertisements banned, if that is the case then my entire theory changes. I do not believe in manipulating to get a specific outcome. However, if the company posts an ad and wants to shock people that is okay, but to specifically want to be banned is a little bit odd!


No comments:

Post a Comment